Monday, March 19, 2007

Cyborg Executive Assistant's Routine Update #2355

A bunch of random news..

1. My new job.. yes it is mail carrier, and yes, the company is what you think it is. Haha! I'm not gonna type it out because I know blogging about work can be.. detrimental, if one intends to stay for any length of time. Anyway, I'm beginning week two of training. Today was a very long and boring day learning about safe driving. Picture video upon driving video made by the national government. The last one, about winter driving, was very funny and I had to hide my snickering. It featured a slow-talking, happy-go-lucky guy with a French accent who kept trying to outrace the 'good guy' who was driving the company van. French guy kept accelerating into snow drifts and having to dig himself out, while 'good guy' drove on by, slowly and safely. Last week I actually got to spend a few days sorting and delivering mail on a 'footwalk.' It's a lot more work than it looks. Tomorrow I start three days of 'mobile training,' which means delivery using a truck. I don't think this job is going to be a 'lifelong career,' so I'm just treating it as a learning experience and as something that fits for the time being.

2. Remember the pleasantly plump receptionist at the orthotics place? (Ok, 'pleasantly plump' is me being very polite. She's quite hefty.) The last time I was there, she told me about how her sons were skiing at Whistler, but when I asked if she went skiing too, she said 'Are you kidding me? I'm too old for that stuff! I stayed in the hot tub!' She looks about 40. She's not even done half her life. And she seems like such a nice cheerful person with a young face.. it's a shame she limits herself like that. The funniest part, though, was when she said 'Have a good weekend!' and as I was halfway out the door she added "Oh, and try to gain some weight!' I thought I heard wrong, so I said "Try and what?" Try and gain some weight, she reiterated. I was a bit shocked, but I said "I'll try." You don't even want to know what I would have said if I'd spoken my mind. If I went around telling fat people to LOSE weight, I'd probably get beat up. Why is it okay to tell people to GAIN weight? Thin people need political correctness too!

3. This past Sunday I went hiking in the Lynn Canyon area in the pouring rain. We did a three hour loop on this closed-off trail beside a raging river. The water levels looked higher than the trail we were on, and I think we were actually pretty stupid to attempt the trail. We came across two landslides that had wiped out trees that were probably about 20-30 years old. The fresh conifer scent was delicious though. The trails were so waterlogged, they turned into rivers themselves, and we just sloshed through them because staying dry was no longer an issue. Overall, a great day.

4. I change interests faster than the weather. I think I have the skills required for fashion design, but I don't have the patience. Sewing takes patience and careful planning. I think I'm happiest just coordinating my own outfits, or at the very most, coordinating other ppl's outfits, but not sewing from scratch. So now I'm obsessed with survival, ecology, botanist, indiginous culture, and plant identification books. I've been reading a whole slew this month, including Bradford Angier's How To Stay Alive in the Woods and Ray Mears' Bushcraft Survival. My latest thought is it would be nice to in a few years get a bachelors and a masters in ecology, biology or environmental science, and somehow combine it with art and indiginous culture. I'm really interested in local first nations, such as the Nuu-Cha-Nulth clan on Vancouver Island. I'm also particularly interested in jungles and rainforests, including ours in B.C. I think it's better for me to pursue interests as hobbies first, before allowing them to influence my career. Part of the reason I chose the letter carrier job, for example, is to see if I can stand the rigors that would be associated with ecological fieldwork.

5. Aren't we cute smurfs? Katherine has alighted upon the town of fluffy sheep and green hills (aka Aberyswyth, Wales) and prior to that, we feasted on KOREAN BBQ at Insadong, which is said to be the best Korean BBQ place in Vancouver.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it easy for you to know the route to each office or house? I am envy of you as walking is a still huge part of my life.

-Korean Reader-

1:45 PM  
Blogger thatgirl said...

You should've asked ms. hefty if she could spare some of her fat for you. lol.

the ecology degree sounds cool. or how about adventure tourism? ecology and environmental sciences are really prominent right now what with the new global consciousness of our impending self-destruction, so it would probably be a good career move.

and man, are we ever cute little smurfs. that picture is so much cheese i love it.

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home