Saturday, March 25, 2006

Korean Class: The Afterparty

I left for Korean classes at 10:30 am today and didn't get back till 3 am. It seems every time I go to Korean class, crazier things happen.

Today I went to the beginner class, then jumped to the intermediate class after the break. There, I met some very rad people, many of whom are 'long-termers' here. In particular are Chelsea and Anne, who take art classes, play the guitar, love nature, dance, and reading. We went for bokimbap with a bunch of other Korean class people, then Anne and I headed over to Seattle's best for a book exchange. I picked up a compilation of John Wyndham stuff, which includes The Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes and The Chrysalyds. They also have a book discussion club that meets twice a month. They're discussing something this month called 'Three Generations.'

Then we went to an orphanage to play with the kids! The orphanage was much better than I expected. The kids are quite socialized and it's more homey and less institutional. Mora and Cathy, the two ladies I met last month at Korean class, came as well. We folded origami, taught them some colours and alphabet. The plan is to go every other week and create a sort of two-hour semi-educational program for them, involving songs and activities. Weirdly enough, Mora's from Rockwood, the town I grew up in, and Anne studied at U of Guelph, which is right by Rockwood.

Then, we headed over to the Ariana. Anne told me she'd lived in Italy for a year, so I introduced her to Sprint's drummer, who is half Bulgarian, half Italian. Had spoken to him briefly last time we were there, and he recognized me at the buffet. The band is great. They had some really awesome songs with a violin solo, and the lead singer does a very convincing Alanis Morissette impersonation. The buffet is much better when enjoyed over an hour prior to the cut-off time. I loaded up on lychee, Weizen and Stout, mostly. And salmon salad. Mmmm. Then we hopped over to the Commune and met up with Kate, from Leeds, and a few other girls.. over to Thunderbird for a bit of foosball..

Then Chelsea and her roomie Mel headed over to Itaewon and Kate and I lost them. But we ended up outside with a bunch of hyperactive young men whose names I don't totally recall. Two of them were here just for a few weeks, working for Boeing. They managed to convince us to come to Gypsy Rock, where we had a jolly good time shaking our jelly rolls to Fiddy and Snoop. Apparently recent renovations removed the stage, but Darby, my dancing partner in crime, and I managed to clear out a nice section of floorspace in which to do the robot, shopping cart and many tailfeather-shaking moves.

Next week, a Palgonsan mountain trek with artsy things in tow is being planned. I <3 Korean class! ;)

The end.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

You grew up in ROCKWOOD? ONTARIO? I'm from Acton!!!

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home