Friday, November 24, 2006

Beats w/out Borders 2nd Anniversary

That little taste of dubstep last weekend was addictive. I downloaded a bunch of tracks, including this one, which I really recommend. Click to download: Noir/Cyrus/Omen/SgtPokes

Then Martin, Lauren and Kat convinced me to check out this tonite:



I was dragging my heels (only because I'm a homebody who hates driving downtown, and detests finding parking, especially if it involves the PARALLEL variety), but it turned out to be pretty good. When we arrived, there was an east indian dance troop in full costume. Then, Lady Ra spun some really eclectic multicultural beats (including Manu Chao - Bongo Bong), followed by Adrian, who played dubstep-ish stuff with intense bass, that was more up my alley. Next, this amazing violinist played side by side with the DJ for about an hour. I took a bunch of videos, might upload some later. Oh screw it, I'll upload it now. Here it is!!!



Adrian also played this instrument that looked like a bong hooked up to an accordian. Later, a couple people, including Kat's friend (oops I forgot her name) beatboxed and rapped while Tarun played the drums.

The crowd was the most multicultural I've seen in a club.. an outstanding moment for me was watching blonde-haired Lady Ra, who hails from Guelph, mash a celtic, an east indian and a mexican track together, as fully bearded and turban'd Sikhs, Africans, Iranians, Asians, dreadlocked hippie types, and gyrating junglists all danced together. Only in Canada! Here are Martin and Lauren enjoying the sounds (and each other.. aww!):



I can't wait to go back and check out Jewel of India, though. I really liked the dubstep there. PS. The volvo was good tonite.. she held 5 ppl without breaking down! Woo! Good girl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

those halcyon days...

*sigh*

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home