Monday, August 28, 2006

North of the U.S. of A?

So I think I'm going to change the name of this blog to 'North of the U.S.' or something. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, but whatevs. I officially hate clubbing in Vancouver. Went to Gecko's last night downtown. It was ok, good electro, very danceable, but the club was quite sparse. The overall mood in the club area: hostile and bling. Felt like I was going to be jumped at every corner.. hummers, girls prancing around in literally undies and 5" heels, guys looking for fights, police everywhere. I thought I'd club a lot more here, but now I can at least scratch that one off my long list of things to do here. Suburbia is also driving me nuts. A 25 minute walk to the mall, and I see not one soul on the sidewalk. Everyone is barricaded behind copious amounts of sheet metal and glass. So isolationist. Oh and the prices are pretty bad, especially at London Drugs. I think Fukuoka, Japan was cheaper in some aspects. The big city vibes, the hostility, the highschool gangstaz, the materialism, the seemingly HUGE influx of druggies on Hastings.. I hate it all. But these things were pretty much anticipated.

In these voids, the sensual appeal of Vancouver compensates. Walking to the mall, I can smell the cedar, fresh cut grass, pinecones, blackberries. I can see the whole skyline from many points in the lower mainland, and watch the whole sunset without buildings blocking my view. It's gorgeous. Went for dim sum today with Brento, Kat and Moolz, and the taste sensation made me want to leap out of my chair and do a jig. It was so nice to see the gaudy red and gold dragons again. Later, we went to Safeway. THANK GOD ALMIGHTY FOR ETHNIC VARIETY!!!!! I went nuts in the Italian / Greek section and made rye sandwiches with hummus, about 6 kinds of olives, goat cheese, the smelliest gorgonzala I could find (that looked like something died in it), and salami. Oh yeah, and we went to my parents place to visit my dog, take a walk in the woods and pick blackberries by salmon-spawning streams.

Oh Vancouver, how I love and hate thee. But mostly love thee. Just like how I love and hate Korea. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ehhh...Doesn't sound good after a post like this, but I still gonna say it: Welcome home!:)

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if i lived where you do, i'd hate vancouver too. a person of your leanings belongs downtown or on commercial drive, where there are always people oot and aboot, and the pedestrian street life is vibrant and alive. all the hustle and bustle of a city proper, all within walking distance.

unlike L.A.'s downtown which is just tumbleweeds at night. that is a trippy experience, lemme tell you.

and yes, clubbing in vancouver kind of sucks. but we do have tokyo lounge, hmmmm?

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home